Escaped big...any ideas be grande!

General chat about kunekune pigs
Paisley

Escaped big...any ideas be grande!

Post by Paisley » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:34 pm

Right..had two intact boys, rescued them at 18months old so roughly 2 years now. One very mellow laid back etc other alway been a bit randy, had very mixed view on castrating them past a certain age so held off.
Hmm well Saturday randy one broke free and went to visit the in season females over the road, got him back, one full day in at mine, yesterday ah exactly 850am he trotted over to the neighbours. Only issue apart from him mating is that with these females is a castrated wild boar, and another male which unsure off.
Had to leave him there last night as he's become wary of me now after constantly trying to pen him in. He won't move away from the pigs for food, my main concern is if my pig breaks into the pen will the boar kill it?
I'm at a complete loss what to do, the neighbours house has no actually perimeter fencing and my boy has clicked if he goes into the bramble hedge we can't get him. Tried RSPCA vets etc and nothing. So as I said any ideas be wonderful.

Also if Ido get him back home into his now smaller enclosure will he attack his brother?

wendy scu

Re: Escaped big...any ideas be grande!

Post by wendy scu » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:10 pm

your main concern should be that you are breaking the law!
you cannot move your pig on and off your holding and onto someone elses with out a movement licence and more importantly a 21 day standstill.
yes, they could fight and entire boars have been known to fight to the death
you have a big responsibility to keep this boar in - mend your fencing, shut him in a building or get him castrated

Paisley

Post by Paisley » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:02 pm

Why thank you for your remarkable response which overall makes the whole bloody situation better, do you not think I'm aware of what you are saying? Yet people with this sort of response still have no clue as how to help me resolve the situation.

So rather than telling me 'off' maybe look at the bigger picture that I didn't plan this situation as for breaking the law I've been in contact with defra, vets and environmental agency's and explained what has gone on.
They are UNABLE to help! So as I said any ideas in how to get this under control would be greatly recieved but not more comments regarding my pig keeping skills or what I am lacking!
Thank you!

Paisley

Post by Paisley » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:04 pm

As stated we cannot confine my pig...cannot capture him etc
It's already stressful enough and I have run out of ideas on how to get him back across the road to mine...would he be more recipient to food once the female is out of season?

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi there,

Your boar is far more likely to be responsive to food when the female is not in season and so it is likely then that you will be able to get him back. Are there lots of ladies there though? They do tend to end up coming into season together but not exactly together so if there are a lot he may end up finding it attractive for longer :(

It is really tricky once they are wary of you and they have a bramble hedge to hide in! I have had this happen with females trying to get to boars. You may find he will return when the girls are out of season and then, your options will be to shut him in when you know the ladies over the road are fertile, have him castrated and accept the associated risks that go with it or do you have a field/paddock further away where he cannot smell them? What is your fencing like at the moment? I use stock proof fencing lined with electric fencing for my full boars and this tends to do the trick.

I would be surprised if your full boar attacked your castrate on return as he has chosen to go visiting and is coming home but just keep an eye on them if you get the opportunity when you re-introduce.

Yes, another full boar could fight with your full boar, and they can fight to the death but i think it is more likely that they will fight, one will give in and run away if they have the freedom to escape. The way they would do in the wild.

I would try and spend time with the boar whilst he is hiding in the bramble hedge if you can :) Take him some of his favourite food, and try to build up trust again. Does he like bananas or grapes? You may gain his trust quite quickly if he has a particular love of something in particular. Is it possible to put a trailer with food in right next to the hedge and wait for him to go in.....that's how I catch some of my young wild things :wink:

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:31 pm

I've just noticed what you said about not being able to confine; Do you know someone with a trailer or horse box you can borrow? If you leave it there overnight (if it's possible) with food in and then in the morning go and put more in he should go in no problem but stay right out of the way and only run to shut once his bottom is fully into the trailer!! You could then use this as a home for a few days and repeat it more easily if he escapes again. He could also be confined in this in the future if he is determined to get to the girls.

BKKPS Chairperson

Paisley

Post by Paisley » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:44 am

I've been just sat letting him come over to me and giving him the odd grape but he's still hesitant for me to stroke him. The neighbours have been really good watching him while I go to work and what not. I've rang a few places to see if i can loan a horse box.
There are two females in the pen and then the wild boar and another male. One female was standing for him yesterday which is why I think I couldn't get near him.
Will keep trying to gain his trust and hopefully the ladies will come out of season, once he's homes he's going down to a stable
Thanks for your help

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:48 am

Good to hear and well done, the choice between food and sex is a tricky one for any boar or sow :lol:

I am really confident he will become much easier to handle once she is not standing. Thereafter, now you know what his interests are, you will hopefully be able to reduce the likelihood of him being a repeat offender!! Keeping boars and sows apart can be really challenging. Some don't seem to bother and normal stock proof fencing will keep them in and others will dig, jump, breakdown and squeeze through whatever it takes to get near. Personally I find with these types that either shutting them up at important times or moving them as far apart as necessary for them not to smell each other works. I would be really interested to know how you get on and what works as it will help others who may well end up in a similar situation.

They are very lucky to have found a new home with you as you clearly have patience and commitment which you will have no doubt needed in abundance this last few days :wink:

Keep us posted on progress.

BKKPS Chairperson

Paisley

Post by Paisley » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:10 pm

Well it's the worse scenario you could of ever imagined gizmo had to be shot by a vet, was gaining ground the last time I posted on here, got him to come over etc few strokes. I then roped two friends and my parents in to try and get him corralled into a pen so he was still close to the females but easily manageable and no threat.
That was Wednesday, come Thursday I had work in the AM which I notified the neighbours and explained where he had been going what plan of actions I'd be trying to come up with. I was there all the time. Anyway went to go across with my 5 year old to just generally keep him away from the boar/pigs Etc as the neighbour wouldn't put them in their house...which fully understand his land his pigs etc.
Well gizmo broke through the stock fencing and barb wire, their wild boar became aggressive and well all hell broke loose. I removed myself for the sake of my child which didn't go down too well but I phoned the vets who after 4 days of constant phone calls agreed to come out with a view to sedate.
Next thing I'm getting a call plus many aggressive calls of my neighbours from the vet saying it looks like needs to be euthanised, he's gone completely feral, I agreed to it I hated it, but there was my neighbours animals to think about and people who could of been injured.
I know where my faults were with gizmo and I've come to terms that it was not going to be a happy ending for the chap, this could of been made easier with help from organisations such as vets RSPCA defra etc oh and neighbours, but what is done is done. Hopefully he is in piggy heaven with some lovely females.
My advice would be as you recommend as soon as your aware your male is over zealous or aware of smells, contain him or move him. My chap went through electric fencing etc.
I will keep on his brother who is complete opposite more interested in his belly, but thought I'd keep you updated. Truely devestated by the outcome and will be doubting myself for a while

Di

Post by Di » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:45 am

A sad end but probably in hindsight the only realistic way out of a nightmare situation. You tried, you learnt, you did your best. Put it down to experience.

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:48 pm

So sorry to hear this is how this situation ended as I am sure it has been traumatic all round, you did your best but in the end we have to do what is right and I think this was the only solution. I am sure however it will take a while to get over this experience.

Full boars are a force to be reckoned with and we should never be underestimate how powerful and untamed they can become when motivated,even if they seem to be a pussy cat most of the time. I am so glad you got your family safely out of the way and no one got hurt.

Take care.

BKKPS Chairperson

Paisley

Post by Paisley » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:44 pm

Just wondered if my lone male will suffer with sadness or any signs I should look out for?
He's eating and drinking but seems to outside his arc a lot laying on the concrete and mud could this just be because it's warmer outside and he's cooling off?
Never did it when gizmo was about so just curious to if anything to do with loss of his brother

Thank you

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:30 pm

I suspect the good weather will have brought him out as it has done many of my pigs today, lying outside in the relative warm and sunshine. He may also be looking out for his brother but how was he during the first week? Was he the less dominant of the two?

He may well miss his brother but I would not worry too much unless he starts to show obvious signs of boredom/loss or goes off his food/loses weight or condition. Pigs do like company, particularly when young. If you wanted to get company for him I would get a young castrate who will create no challenge for him so limited fighting/chasing on bringing them together. The younger the better really.

BKKPS Chairperson

Paisley

Post by Paisley » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:41 am

He was the less dominant used to back down when gizmo was in rough and tumble mood. He's still eating like a trooper and enjoys a good fuss, think I was initially paranoid as now the weathers hit and miss he only lays out when he's mildly warm rest of time he goes into his arc and chills.

Will keep accessing him though and keep a eye on any changes.

Appreciate all your help over this past week

JLD

Post by JLD » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Sorry to hear of your trouble, we ended up with 2 entire rescue boars who were never any trouble but we had no other local pigs, when we lost the first one we worried about his brother being on his own but if anything he seemed more chilled and relaxed - he was the less dominant of the 2 as well, so whilst yes company is ideal ours did fine.