info for beginners

General chat about kunekune pigs
gavinio25

info for beginners

Post by gavinio25 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi there folks.
Just after some initial advice regarding kunekune keeping.
I am a teacher at a primary school on the Staffordshire/Shropshire border and our school is looking to rehome a number of animals as part of a small holding. We have a large area of land including woodland which I suppose would be good for the pigs to be reared in. We have raised funds to buy shelters, erect fences and purchase any other paraphernalia needed. If you could have a look at the following questions I would appreciate any help.
Is it better to rear from a piglet, or have a mature animal who's character is settled and can be trusted?
Are there any specific dietary requirements or plants that we would need to get rid of?
What would be a suitable area for the animals to be kept in? (obviously we would have a pair or more)
Is there a certain type of fencing needed to house them?
Can Kunes be kept with other animals such as goats?
Would they need regular veterinary checks?
These are obviously initial inquiries and we would not endeavour to rehome without having the best possible facilities and knowledge to hand.
Kind Regards, Mr G Bartels

biddydog

Re: info for beginners

Post by biddydog » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:06 am

There are far more expert contributors than I but here's my two penny worth. We have had two glorious KKs for 18m and my responses are based on that

Is it better to rear from a piglet, or have a mature animal who's character is settled and can be trusted? I would suggest piglets as they are utterly gorgeous, gentle, friendly and you get to know them really well. The downside is that you may need to buy the housing in stages. We went from small broody hen coop to small dog kennel before they were big enough for a pig ark. We got ours at 8 weeks and they were tiny (they came home in small cardboard box). We had a small cage surrounding the hen coop to protect from foxes etc.

Are there any specific dietary requirements or plants that we would need to get rid of? Fruit and veg, grass and pot belly pig food are all they need. I think yew and ragwort are bad but I am sure others may give a more comprehensive answer.

What would be a suitable area for the animals to be kept in? (obviously we would have a pair or more) We have a pair in half an acre and we thought it was too big at first but 18m on it feels about right.

Is there a certain type of fencing needed to house them? When they are small make sure the squares in the bottom wire is small enough. Ours got out once through a tiny gap.

Can Kunes be kept with other animals such as goats? I think so yes but ours are on their own.
Would they need regular veterinary checks? we have ours wormed once a year by the vet and he gives them a once over.

KKs are great little pigs and for pupils would be wonderful for PSHE/nurturing/ behaviour support/ caring etc
Good luck :D

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi there,

I live in South Shropshire (and am a teacher!!!) and breed kunekunes, your project sounds fabulous :D

If you would like any advice or would like some first hand experience of kunekunes then you are welcome to visit or call.....no fee and absolutely no expectation that you will purchase!!!

You are welcome to contact me via email if that is of interest: therushburypig@aol.com
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

gavinio25

Post by gavinio25 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:50 pm

Thanks to all for the information and suggestions.
Myself and the children are really looking forward to a couple of kunes around Easter time.
All we have to do now is: the fund raising, fencing, pig ark, food and cleaning rota and of course the search for the perfect piglets. :D
Will keep you posted with our progress