grieving pig

General chat about kunekune pigs
sylvia

grieving pig

Post by sylvia » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:32 pm

I have .2 kunekune age 7 yrs as pets, but sadly one died yesterday. The vet said they are in excellent condition & these things sadly often happen.

What I would like to know will the other one pine for his brother & what if anything can I do to help him.
He has plenty of love & attention but I cant replace his friend. :(

The Rushbury Pig

Re: grieving pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:02 pm

Very sorry to hear your news.

Your remaining pig may well miss his partner but it is difficult to know if he will pine. Only time will tell.

For some pigs at this age they do seem to adjust however others just cannot cope with being solitary. What you do depends very much on your circumstances. You could bring in a young pig (a piglet perhaps) that provides no challenge to your boy and they would settle quickly or you could bring in an older castrate/gilt/sow (perhaps a re-home) to keep him company. The latter would involve careful introductions as there would be some territory issues to begin with which would result in fighting but they would eventually settle and become good friends. People offer pigs for re-homing on the 'Pigs' section of the 'Discussion Board'.

I hope he is okay whatever your decision.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

sylvia

Re: grieving pig

Post by sylvia » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:54 pm

Thank you for replying, I will certainly monitor my pig, squeak, I have plenty of room for another & if necessary will certainly look to re homing another as they are so friendly & I adore them.

Thanks once again