Intact female with 2 castrated males

General chat about kunekune pigs
Tess21

Intact female with 2 castrated males

Post by Tess21 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi everyone

I have 2 pet Kunes' castrated males a year and a half old, would it be possible to have an intact female Kune with them (she is about 4 years old and has had a litter in the past), we would have her just as a pet. My boys are both great lads and this little female is gorgeous too and is on her own. We had thought of putting her into the adjacent part of the field so she could see the boys if it wasn't feasible to have her in their area. I'd be grateful of any advice as I am fairly new to keeping Kunes'.

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Intact female with 2 castrated males

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:55 pm

It is perfectly possible to integrate them and the sow will enjoy the company. However, to get to the point where they will happily snuggle up together in an ark will mean some fighting whilst they sort out the pecking order.

If it is possible to put them next to each other where they can talk through the fence for a while and then, ideally, have an area where they can first meet and mix with each other that is not the area where each has been living and sleeping. Ideally it will have access for both to where they normally live and sleep. Three distinct areas but all joined if that makes sense?!

I now have my paddocks set up so that I can do this with my sows who have been weaned and need introducing back into the group and it works well. There is still some squabbling but because they can get out of each other's way the general settle in a day or two.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

Tess21

Post by Tess21 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:42 pm

Thank you so much for your reassurrance with this as we are both relative newbies. We were intending to do more or less what you have said, my husband is building an ark for the little female as we speak as I think she will prefer her own ark. She will be able to "speak" to the boys through the fence and eventually we will introduce them with care without the fence. Thanks again :D

Pigme

Post by Pigme » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:28 am

Hi

Hopes this helps. I think that in general your pigs will like being together, once they get over the initial hierarchy fighting. I think having them meet though the fence first is useful.

My experience has been: my first kune was a rescue that the original owner didn't want because she thought she was sterile. So we had her as a pet, and then got a young boar as a companion for her. When we introduced them to each other, they did fight (and they are big animals, so this can be a little shocking to see) but it was all over in a day, with some biting but no one seriously hurt. Of course, the female proved not to be sterile after all, and they had 5 piglets, after which we castrated all the males. We now have 2 castrated males and 3 intact females.

However, about 3 weeks ago I was asked to rehome a group of 7 micro pigs. They are about a quarter of the size of my kunes: 3 castrated males, 3 females, and one uncastrated boar. The vet has said that it would be better not to castrate the boar until the weather is cooler, so he being kept separate in a big wire pen and shed where he can see the others but not impregnate them. (He is less than happy about this arrangement, and paces.)

We now hope to introduce the 2 groups, who have met though the wire, and, like you, would be interested to hear any advice about how best to do this. My
kunes are bigger but older, at 10 and 11, and the little ones are about 5. The vet has said to rub the pigs from the different groups with towels to get them used to the others' scents. I am not too worried about most of them, but concerned about how my 2 castrated males might act toward the penned boar. He will be released into the group by himself later on, when he's been done, so this will be a two-part process.

Interested to hear what others' experiences have been!