New pig owner .

General chat about kunekune pigs
Mel5

New pig owner .

Post by Mel5 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:29 am

Hello we are new pig owners :) and have two piglets marmalade and tigger both girls. We have got them as pets and grass cutters. I am amazed how wonderful these little pigs are. I have a few questions, at the moment they are in our orchard, and seem quite happy. Should I be worried about windfall when the time comes, we have pear, apple both eating and cooking ? I have also got them booked in at the vets for their worming, first vaccination and to be microchipped. Does anyone else microchip their pigs ? I bought them from a breeder who is advertised on here, she was very helpful. How long before we receive any documentation?
Any other advice appreciated. I have 5 children and the pigs are getting lots of attention. I also have a wood that I am going to let them wander round in when they get a bit bigget. Is anything poisonous to them, that I should look out for ?
Thanks Melanie x

The Rushbury Pig

Re: New pig owner .

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:29 pm

David (BKKPS registrar) is very efficient so you should get your ear tag and pedigrees almost return of post.

if you leave them in the orchard to collect up your windfall although they will love it they will become very, very fat :(

I keep mine out of the orchard at this time and collect windfalls, store them and meter them out of the following weeks and months.

My herd lives in a natural woodland that has not been managed. There are things poisonous to KK but mine have never eaten anything poisonous, even the young piglets have never done so. They are very sensible animals.

Enjoy, you have many years of great fun and companionship ahead of you :D
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:48 pm

There is one thing i am paranoid about which i have just remembered.......Yew! I am worried that the needles and berries are so small they could easily be picked up without realising and that would be a fatal mistake as it is very fast acting. My woodland does not have this in but my garden does and the pigs are not allowed near to it.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

Mel5

Post by Mel5 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:52 pm

Thanks, don't think we have yew but will check.