Pigs in water - advice needed

General chat about kunekune pigs
Topcat

Pigs in water - advice needed

Post by Topcat » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice? We have 4 wonderful boys but unfortunately they are 'diggers' ! With all the recent rain thier field looks like something from WW1. We have mud, mud and more mud and the boys now have to walk through water, which is standing fairly deep, and grazing is sparse to say the least. My questions are 1. will the water harm them (they actually don't appear to mind and are not in the least distressed), their house is very dry and cosy with lots of straw. 2. With little or no grazing should I increase their feed - currently they get 1lb per day of pellets plus fruit and veg.

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Tina

simon

Re: Pigs in water - advice needed

Post by simon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:55 pm

With all the rain our sheep have done the same. Just walking up and down in a waterlogged field causes mud.

The water and mud won't do them any harm as long as they can get warm and dry somewhere else. But I think you should consider saving the land so that the grass can grow at somepoint in the future. If you can restrict them in wet weather, then you will have something left come the dry weather.

Even if your field was still perfect, at this time of year there is little goodness left in the grass so you do need to feed more in winter and even more in cold weather. But how much depends on how old they are.

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Many thanks for your response. We hope to be able to move the boys in the Spring or before, we just need to fence off another area of land. We will reseed and hopefully this should do the trick - we will also be better prepared and a little more experienced next winter!

Pigs are just 8 months old. I have increased feed by 50% and will provide hay along with afternoon tea - usually fruit and veg!

Thanks again
Tina

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:12 am

i agree with Simon regarding the land. save what you can!
with regard to food i feed 1lb each of 16% sow nuts and hay through the winter and find that they all hold their weight well - except working boars who are a different kettle of fish entirely :shock: