KuneKune's with sheep?

General chat about kunekune pigs
ElizabethBaker

KuneKune's with sheep?

Post by ElizabethBaker » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:52 pm

My 14 yr old kunekune Sybil lost her life-long partner in May. Advice was that she would probably not take to another pig due to her age and she has never known other pigs. She is doing OK, eating and in good health but I'm very aware of her being on her own. I wondered if pigs and sheep are an OK combination? I know they won't be very good companions but I have been offered a couple of 'mature' ewes. Also,the ealier discussion topic regarding the pygmy goats made me realise things can go very wrong.
Perhaps as she is such an elderly lady it is better for her live out her days on her own?
I'd be pleased to hear anyone's thoughts/experiences.
Liz

pedro1

Re: KuneKune's with sheep?

Post by pedro1 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:45 pm

I have my kunekune and sheep running together and I have not had a problem with them and I have a herd of 15 sheep and 4 pigs and they all living in the same fields together happily from tom

simon

Post by simon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:04 pm

We have pigs and sheep together without any problems. They aren't really companions though.

Only once have I seen any real interaction between the breeds. We had a whole boar on his own with 30ewes for some weeks and after a while they started to consider him leader and would follow him around when he decided to graze somewhere else.

Di

Post by Di » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:50 pm

Mine are fine together but the problem is that sheep must not eat pig nuts - too much copper. Difficult to feed one without the other.

ElizabethBaker

Post by ElizabethBaker » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:30 pm

Hi, Thank you for your responses. I had read elsewhere about the issue of pig-feed, copper and sheep, so an important consideration.
Liz