New kunekune pigs were killed...

General chat about kunekune pigs
irishkuneowner

New kunekune pigs were killed...

Post by irishkuneowner » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:38 am

Hi

I'm new to this forum but have a farm and keep many different kinds of animals.

We bought some new kunekune pigs (a breeding pair about 6 months old) about 10 days ago and had them in their own pen next to our pygmy goats (1 buck and 3 females). They very unfortunately broke out on Tuesday and we found them both dead on the ground in the goat pen.

Would pygmy goats kill small pigs? Does anyone know of a history of this happeneing? All help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The Rushbury Pig

Re: New kunekune pigs were killed...

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:04 pm

An awful experience for you.

A member of our committee keeps both goats and kunekune so i will forward this question to her
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:32 pm

very sad -

i know several people who keep pigmy goats and kunes together with no trouble at all.

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:22 pm

hello again,

The group of people I asked who own pigs and goats have never had problems with the pigs and goats mixing. Although one did say she keeps hers apart because one of her pygmy goats did attack one of her pigs and she was sure the consequences of leaving them together would have risked serious injury. At this age we all agree though that they are usually quite capable of defending themselves so you would expect to see injuries on both sides.

Were there any obvious external injuries? Or perhaps any other clues?

You have been very unlucky. It is most odd/unusual that 2 pigs of that age should be found dead together, could you have a post mortem performed? This usually only costs £15 to £20 but might help you understand, and come to terms with, their sudden deaths. It may also help other people if the same thing happens again to someone else.

I'm sorry we can't offer any clear explanation for this.....please let us know if the cause becomes obvious.

BKKPS Chairperson

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:36 pm

the more i think about this the more i think it wasn't the goats. are you sure they didn't get to eat anything unusual as they were in a different paddock to usual? it just seems mighty odd that both should be dead with no outward signs. one maybe or even both badly injured but to both be dead with no obvious signs of an attack? and at 6 months they would be very robust. i wouldn't want to try and kill one with my head :(

irishkuneowner

Post by irishkuneowner » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks for your help so far.

They had random round puncture wounds on their bellies which I am assuming are from the buck Pygmy's horns.

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:47 am

Hi there,

A lady from Holland has said that in Holland they do actually warn goat owners not to mix pigs with pygmy goats/goats as there is a real risk of serious injury. She had to separate one of hers from her kunekune because she was clear that there would be serious injury if she didn't.

Discussion amongst the pig/goat owners now centres on the fact that they are rutting at the moment and that the buck may have just been defending his girls and territory. But they all find it shocking like you must

If there are puncture wounds then this surely has to be the cause as for 2 to die for any other reason is quite odd.

It sounds like you have been really unlucky as most people have no problems with pigs mixing with goats but clearly from the lady in Holland and your experience this is not the case.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us....it is somehting other people need to be aware of.

Are you going to get some more pigs?

Take care

BKKPS Chairperson

irishkuneowner

Post by irishkuneowner » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:43 am

Interesting...

Yes I am going to get another breeding pair as they are lovely animals. I'll make sure their pen is more secure this time though.

We've had bad luck with pigs thus far, the last breeding pair of 'micro' pigs turned out to be two males. But we are determined to make it work.

Introducing two new pigs (or any other small animal) by accident or otherwise to goats during rutting season obviously isn't a good idea. It might be worth publishing a warning on same on your homepage? For others, introducing at a calmer time seems to have worked.

Thanks for your help.

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:50 pm

Good luck, I hope it all goes smoothly for you next time.

I'll mention your suggestion at the AGM.

BKKPS Chairperson

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:14 am

Best of luck with your new ones - it must have been terribly upsetting for you