Too much grazing?

General chat about kunekune pigs
MummyLlama

Too much grazing?

Post by MummyLlama » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:08 pm

I have 2 castrated lads of a year old, Winston and Stanley. They are from a rescue centre and had never grazed until I had them. One especially is possibly too fat. Obviously they would eat 24/7 if I let them but I don't!
I have their ark in a paved area with a wallow which thy will wee and poop in, this is not their drinking water! Otherwise the area has straw and part of it is covered for shade although they can also use the ark.
I let them graze their lush paddock for about 5 hours a day in two sessions with a 'siesta' during the middle of the day. They are very porky kunekunes so I have been cutting their nuts (Allen & Page) down for the last few weeks. Today i only gave them a 1/4 of the 500g requirement for their previous weight, estimated at 33k. Is it harmful to feed so little? 
The other problem I have is Maggie who was found tethered to a  pile of rubble.  She was starving and very thin. She had no idea how to graze but is getting used to it! I think she would like to eat Mars Bars but no chance on my watch! I am feeding her pasta to try and put weight on. If I mix it with nuts she only eats the pasta, so she can't be over hungry but she isn't behaving like a pig.
She has 3-4 meals a day and grass but her hips and backbone are still sticking up. I have written in the feeding section about her if anyone would be kind enough to read it. I left her in the paddock to graze while the others were in today, she can see them but she just went to sleep. She sleeps more than the boys, I was told she was 18months but she could be 10 years...or her condition and hard start have taken its toll. She is happy with a waggy tail and very affectionate. 
Any advice on better management for my little brood would be so gratefully received. Thank you. 

wendy scu

Re: Too much grazing?

Post by wendy scu » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:01 pm

sounds great to me - and no harm in a fat pig going short on pig nut rations - especially at this time of year. :)

MummyLlama

Re: Too much grazing?

Post by MummyLlama » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:57 pm

Great thank you Wendy. I had read that kunekune could live on grazing but was worried as I don't know exactly what these boys are...other than great fun of course! They are very happy and I'll be careful they don't burst!