breeding ages

General chat about kunekune pigs
jaqken

breeding ages

Post by jaqken » Fri May 11, 2012 11:53 am

Hi,i would like members opinion on a minimum age for breeding young gilts/sows.the reason i ask is i have seen weaners for sale where the sow has just turned one ,this would mean she was bred at 6to7 months old i think this is too young as she would not be fully grown.i think there should a minimum age of 12to15 months (but this is my opinion) can i ask for comments

truella

Re: breeding ages

Post by truella » Fri May 11, 2012 6:43 pm

Any other breed of pig, you are advised to get gilts to have their 1st litter as they reach 1yr old, which means putting them to the boar at 8 months.
kunekune's on the other hand are alot slower at maturing than the other breeds, the advise is to wait until the gilt is at least 1yr old before putting them to the boar.
It does depend on the breed really, but (in my experiance) the kune's do tend to 'do better' farrowing a bit older than other breeds.
Mind over Matter...........You don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!!!

jaqken

Post by jaqken » Fri May 11, 2012 9:56 pm

i have saddlebacks as well as kunekune ,my question was specific to kunekune and i feel there should be a recomendation if not a rule on breeding gilts too young,what does everyone think.

simon

Post by simon » Sat May 12, 2012 11:17 am

I would not putting a gilt to a boar until it is a year old.

There aren't any specific rules, but I wouldn't buy a sow that had a litter too young.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue May 15, 2012 11:27 am

interesting question, and i agree with the other posts - a kunekune gilt should not go to the boar before 12 months of age.
In an ideal world, yes it would be nice to have a 'ruling' but unfortunately not everyone would go along with this so we have to impose a penalty - what penalty would you impose which would discourage people from breaking the rule?

it is probably better to 'advise' (which we already do) than to impose rules and penalties.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue May 15, 2012 11:29 am

i would add to that that one of the reasons for breeding 'too young' is the obsession people have with the size of their pigs. If you breed from a kunekune who is under 12 months, at the time of farrowing she will be nowhere near full grown. Very misleading for the potential purchaser of the piglets!
I have seen adverts for 'miniature' kunekunes more than once with messages telling the interested purchaser how tiny the mother (and sometimes father) pig is. Needless to say the pigs will continue to grow and of course the offspring will be 'normal' sized kunekunes :evil: