Being Sick Whilst Eating

General chat about kunekune pigs
andreabradley

Being Sick Whilst Eating

Post by andreabradley » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:11 pm

I have 3 kunekune, 2 female and 1 castrated male. The 2 females are soooo greedy and eat all their food much quicker than my male who then gets ambushed for his food. I have put a hurdle in between him and the 2 females whilst he eats his food but whilst watching him I notice he eats very slowly, then he is sick and then he carries on eating, still slowly. Some time ago I took him to the vet as his head is always slightly on one side and once I saw him paw his face. I thought it might be problems with his teeth, or tusks coming through, he is about 1 year old now but the vet felt his jaw and said everything felt ok, he thought that perhaps he had had an ear infection some time ago which had now healed but left him with his head tipped to one side. Does anyone have any ideas why he is being sick after eating a little food? He eats Pot Bellied Pig food from A & P

claire86

Re: Being Sick Whilst Eating

Post by claire86 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi Andrea,

Has his head always been on one side since he was born? Does it stay tilted the whole time? The sickness may or may not be related. If it's related to the head tilt and suspected ear problem, it would be because his balance is all off so is feeling 'drunk' and therefore nauseous. If it's not related, it may be due to gastrointestinal disease or secondary to systemic disease. Only further investigation would narrow down the differentials so I would get in contact with your vet again.

Claire

windybankfarm

Post by windybankfarm » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi may not help, but we had a Tutaki boar who had the same sick problem. It eventually turned out that he was unable to digest his food and he gradually lost weight dispite our best efforts.
We did sadly loose him on New Years Day.
I hope of course this is not the problem with your pig, However felt I should share my experiences just in case its something you could look into.
Many thanks
michelle

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:30 pm

I know this is not the same animal but at the zoo I work at a giraffe had the same symptoms as you have described the the problem was that he could not digest his food do what the vet did was kill a deer and introduce its bacteria in the giraffes stomach so that it could digest its food Unfortunatly this did not work so we just feed it a supplement that has worked really well on him digesting his food but he does go through cycles of good weeks and then bad but the good news is that he has had this condition for years and he is still healthy and lives a normal life apart from he needs to be separated to be fed. Hope this helps and I know it's not a pig but hopefully if the condition is the same the pig will survive as well

suzanneruston

Post by suzanneruston » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi my name is Suzanne and I have ust had two kunekune sisters they are both 2yrs old and I went out to get them some food and bought potbelly and kunekune feed and after feeding one of my pigs started being sick I got a little woried snd so called their od owner she told me she doesn't normaly do it but she fed them on sow and weaner nuts so we changed the feed and she is now fine, just wandered as you mentioned you are feeding the same feed if it may be the food doesn't suit your pig.