Tips for making our two chaps less noisy?

General chat about kunekune pigs
noisy little chaps

Tips for making our two chaps less noisy?

Post by noisy little chaps » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:49 pm

Hello,

We have two castrated boys who are are six months old, they have settled in nicely and growing well, the only problem is, as soon as you step out the back door or go into the paddocks it sets the bigger of the two off, which sets the little one off.

Since day one we only feed them at set meal times, no tit-bits in between. Their pen is in the line of sight of the back door and also they can see us as we go round to the other animals on the field. We have a radio in their house to try and get them desensitised to noise.

Has anyone got any tips on how to kerb this noisy 'feed me feed me' greeting we get every time we set foot outside the house? It doesn't bother us particularly, but it may become a problem with the neighbours, especially as the days start to get longer!

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Darrell

Re: Tips for making our two chaps less noisy?

Post by Darrell » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:19 pm

You are doing the right thing by not feeding them extra food every time they see you.If possible go into the paddock with them when they make a noise,just give them an ear rub,stand around for ten minutes and then leave the paddock.They are intelligent souls and will quickly catch on that food is not going to arrive when they demand it.I have over forty kunes and mine do not demand food on seeing people.It would be deafening if they did!

simon

Post by simon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Theres not much good grass to eat at this time of year.
You could try filling a hay rack for them to munch on during the day. I might give them something else to do.

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:44 pm

I would try totally ignoring them unless you want to visit for a chat, plus feed them at random not regular times for a while.
Won't take them long to learn no point in shouting their mouth off every time they spy you trying to creep past undetected! :lol:
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:03 pm

Ahhh, How pleased they are to see you!! :lol:

I agree with all the possible solutions given but find what Darrell suggested to work very well and do this with all my pigs as they do quickly work out that it doesn't always mean food!!

Ignoring and hay also help, really they just mustn't intelligently work out the usual pattern, you have to keep them guessing!!

Good luck :wink:
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

noisy little chaps

Post by noisy little chaps » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:17 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the advice! We've found that when we go to let them out so they can come round with us while we are with the other animals they quieten down pretty quickly so we will try giving them a little attention before moving on, the hay is a good idea as well we can try!

Thank you so much for your help!