kunekune's and fencing

General chat about kunekune pigs
blades

kunekune's and fencing

Post by blades » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:56 pm

Hi... can anyone tell me please, do KK's challange fencing? I have metre high stock fencing and a single (non barbed) wire and wanted to know if this will be suitable?

Thanks in advance
Uppermill kunekune Pigs

The Rushbury Pig

Re: kunekune's and fencing

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi there,

kunekune very rarely challenge fencing in my experience and can generally be kept with minimal effort. The only experience I have had of one doing so was when a visiting gilt was very frightened and wanted to get back to where she had come from. Even then it did not pose a problem as she realised and didn't try again.

I do put electric fencing along my stockproof fences when I have boars in neighbouring paddocks as this stops them obsessing about each other and pushing the fencing in!!

I don't know if other people find it different?

Hope this helps!
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

blades

Post by blades » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:10 pm

The Rushbury Pig wrote:Hi there,

kunekune very rarely challenge fencing in my experience and can generally be kept with minimal effort. The only experience I have had of one doing so was when a visiting gilt was very frightened and wanted to get back to where she had come from. Even then it did not pose a problem as she realised and didn't try again.

I do put electric fencing along my stockproof fences when I have boars in neighbouring paddocks as this stops them obsessing about each other and pushing the fencing in!!

I don't know if other people find it different?

Hope this helps!
Thank you Sam
Uppermill kunekune Pigs

aralph

Post by aralph » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi there
I have found from experience that electric fencing is the only thing which works for my girls. I was quite reluctant to try it as one of mine is blind (from improper treatment and management when she was very young, before I got her) and I wasn't sure she'd cope with it. However after using stock fencing and barbed wire (which I personally don't like either) and still getting phonecalls from neighbours asking if I wouldn't mind retrieving my girls from their front gardens (!!!) I took the plunge and haven't looked back. My blind pig got used to it very quickly ( I think they 'hear' and sense it) and all they have now is two strands of tape low down secured to fence posts with insulators and I've had no escapees for about 5 years.
I hope this helps - good luck!

blades

Post by blades » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:14 pm

aralph wrote:Hi there
I have found from experience that electric fencing is the only thing which works for my girls. I was quite reluctant to try it as one of mine is blind (from improper treatment and management when she was very young, before I got her) and I wasn't sure she'd cope with it. However after using stock fencing and barbed wire (which I personally don't like either) and still getting phonecalls from neighbours asking if I wouldn't mind retrieving my girls from their front gardens (!!!) I took the plunge and haven't looked back. My blind pig got used to it very quickly ( I think they 'hear' and sense it) and all they have now is two strands of tape low down secured to fence posts with insulators and I've had no escapees for about 5 years.
I hope this helps - good luck!
Many thanks for the info
Uppermill kunekune Pigs

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:02 pm

I agree with aralph, the majority of my pigs(kunekune, Middle White and Berkshire) are kept behind 3 strands of electric fencing and it is very effective once they get the idea.

You do need to train them to it first as they can disregard it as Floella, a small new gilt I bought recently, reminds me as she often greets me at the main gate!!

I do still prefer to have an outer boundary of stockproof fencing and a more significant divide between boys and girls however to avoid potential accidental pregnancies!! :lol:
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

blades

Post by blades » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:31 pm

The Rushbury Pig wrote:I agree with aralph, the majority of my pigs(kunekune, Middle White and Berkshire) are kept behind 3 strands of electric fencing and it is very effective once they get the idea.

You do need to train them to it first as they can disregard it as Floella, a small new gilt I bought recently, reminds me as she often greets me at the main gate!!

I do still prefer to have an outer boundary of stockproof fencing and a more significant divide between boys and girls however to avoid potential accidental pregnancies!! :lol:
Thank you Sam
Uppermill kunekune Pigs