Sows or boars

General chat about kunekune pigs
Lynndb

Sows or boars

Post by Lynndb » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:55 pm

I'm going to get two Kunes in April this year and was considering two sows however was advised that they get a bit cranky when in season and that two boars (castrated) would be better. I would appreciate any views from current owners please. Thank you.

simon

Re: Sows or boars

Post by simon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:19 pm

Mostly it can be difficult to tell if a sow is in season. I've not met many that were cranky, and only one where it was a problem - she would nibble your leg to get attention.
Most of the time you would have to examine a pig to tell the difference between a castrate and a sow.

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi lynndb I have never experianced any problems when I had some sows on there own and did not notice when they came into season and also I have some piglets due any day now and if you would like some I'm sure you can get them but you would have to pick them up as I would not be able to deliver from pedro1

Lynndb

Post by Lynndb » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:25 am

Thank you both very much for your replies - I think I'm going to stick with my original intentions then and get two sows. Where are you based Pedro?

simon

Post by simon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:38 am

Out of interest, why two sows?
Why not two castrates, or one of each?

Lynndb

Post by Lynndb » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:06 am

You'll hate me for this Simon - I just think the sows are prettier! But I'm sure I can be persuaded otherwise.

Lynndb

Post by Lynndb » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:09 am

One last question - are there any gates on the market that are truly pig proof?

simon

Post by simon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:26 pm

Lynndb wrote:I just think the sows are prettier!
Ok, lets test you. Which ones are gilts and which are castrates?

simon

Post by simon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:30 pm

Lynndb wrote:are there any gates on the market that are truly pig proof?
Assuming the pigs can't squeeze under or through the gate, then any 3ft gate would be fine.
I only find 10ft+ wooden field gates a problem - the catches tend to be at the top of the gate and pigs can force through at the bottom and bend the gate enough to get through. But moving the catch or adding a bolt at the bottom solves that.

Lynndb

Post by Lynndb » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:08 pm

Okay - you've got me there! I meant when they get a bit older, e.g. 2yrs plus. And many thanks for the info about the gate.

truella

Post by truella » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I have some very pretty sows & some really ugly ones, the same as the boars, some are handsome, others look like they really could do with a face lift.
Just go for the pigs you like, regardless of sex & you will love them no matter what they grow up like later on! Castrates or gilts, kunes have such a good temperament that it doesn't matter which..........unlike the mangalitzas! :D
Mind over Matter...........You don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!!!

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:51 pm

I am based in Hertfordshire lynndb which is near London from pedro1

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:09 am

Hi Lynn,

Great to hear you are considering kunekune, fab little pigs!!

Love Simon's comments!!! :lol:

I have a herd of sows, gilts, castrates as well as having a couple of full boars. I can tell when my girls are coming into or are in season because they do start to behave differently, there is definitely a mood change! They do sometimes argue and can bite each others back ends a little but usually nothing serious at all just a bit grumpy!! If there's a boar around they'll go through the electric fence to get at them!!

I have to come to the defence of castrates here as they are very handsome as they grow older!!! :D I do love my castrates as they are very soft and steady and great as pets. That's not to say that gilts and sows aren't, it's just I don't want people to think castrates are not!! :wink:

Your post has given me the opportunity to also mention that there are lots of kunekune now needing re-homing so anyone looking for kunekune may also want to consider that as an option. Also, if you can, make sure you see the parents or pedigrees of prospective pigs you may buy if you want pure kunekune as I have recently had two people come to me to re-home pigs they thought were kunekune but which had clearly been crossed with another breed that was very much bigger(Pretty much sure they were Berkshires!!)

Good luck and I hope you find perfect piggies soon!! :lol:
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:09 pm

i may be wrong here but i suspect simon has no trouble with his sows because he breeds from them. i have ket kunes for 12 years and would say that most get hormonal during their season unless they are breeding fairly regularly (once a year). some are fine, some are noisy, always looking to get out and mounting each other!

i would say have one of each or two castrates - its usually when you get tow gilts together who don't breed that the problems can begin :)

Lynndb

Post by Lynndb » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:27 am

Thank you to everyone who has joined in the debate about gilts and castrates. It has been most helpful and I'm so glad that I've joined the Society if this is typical of the response that will be generated in future about any other questions I may have.