Safe materials for cleaning ark

General chat about kunekune pigs
Jennifer Hart

Safe materials for cleaning ark

Post by Jennifer Hart » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:13 am

Hi I'd be grateful for advice on safe products to use on cleaning the wooden floor of our arc which I now have to do on a daily basis as our 2 young piglets 6 and 3 months pee in the ark during these long dark nights.
This is a new problem for us as we have 2 mature 7 year olds who have never done this. I scrub the wet area daily and renew the straw and have been using Dettol in water and wiping away any surplus but am wondering if this could be bad for the pigs. I am now using a Dettol surface cleaner which has no safety warnings for humans or animals. I have tried a bio powder which is expensive and not easy to use. Any advice welcome please. :)

Pencommins pigs

Re: Safe materials for cleaning ark

Post by Pencommins pigs » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:02 pm

Hi, this is a habit forming behaviour of most young pigs and hopefully for you will soon stop as soon as the days get longer in length and the pigs spend longer outside! If your worried about the urine tanting the Wood with Unwanted smells you could use diluted Jeyes fluid, however any cleaning fluid that is child safe I would at a guess be ok, I’d only be using a disinfectant that’s anti bacterial or anti fungal if I was concerned that the livestock was carrying something that could be transmitted

Jennifer Hart

Re: Safe materials for cleaning ark

Post by Jennifer Hart » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:39 pm

Thanks very much for your advice it's most helpful
Jennie Hart