Adopting rescued kunes

General chat about kunekune pigs
SallyB

Adopting rescued kunes

Post by SallyB » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:46 pm

I am collecting 2 female kunes , aged about 5 years old , from a friend who rescued 4 and is unable to keep them all. They do not appear to have ever been registered, and have no tags etc . As a complete newcomer to pig keeping , should I keep them in a restricted area initially , or allow them to explore from the beginning ? And are they best fed a mix of pig nuts , veg and hay at this time of year ? Thanks

simon

Re: Adopting rescued kunes

Post by simon » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:30 pm

Hi, I would suggest buying a pig book or two. They will give indepth detail to all your questions, and the answers to a few questions you didn't know to ask.

The first thing you need to do is comply with the law on keeping pigs. But its not hard, so don't worry.
1) Get a CPH number if you don't have one. To apply for a CPH you need to contact The Rural Payments Agency on 0845 603 7777
2) Ear tag the pigs - as legally you should not move pigs without tags.

When you get them I would restrict their movement to a small area until you have them trained to come running when you rattle a bucket of pig nuts. That way you can always get them to come. But this won't take long - most likely they already understand this. With it being winter you might like to keep them on a small area until the weather improves anyway.

As far as feeding goes theres lots of articles here. But, yes, feed lots of hay and veg. Only give a few nuts to help tame/train them and to make up their feed requirements if you don't have enough veg.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find you feet in a few days - the pigs will tell you if you listen to them!